Pages

October 18, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Reading, reading and reading


First of all new reviews since my last TSS post:
The Remain of the Day (Kazuo Isgihuro: The Remains of the Day)
Love after war (Bernhard Schlink: The Reader)
His story - her story (Margaret Atwood: The Penelopiad)
Enjoyable fiction about the past Philippa Gregory: The Other Boleyn Girl

Yes, Reading, reading and reading the title of this new post. I think, I get into my stride again. Because of the reading challenges? It may be.

Anyway, it's still a good preparation for my PhD -studies (start next year) too.

Yesterday, during surfing on the net I clicked on the site of my favourite Hungarian publisher (Magveto) - really, really accidentally - and I noticed there are a lot of new books published recently. Among them the books of two young Hungarian female writers. I read the first short story collections of both writers , I'm just curious their next ones.

And I discovered other books too. I was chatting with the writer László Márton recently, he said, it's worth to read more stories by writers of the Balkans. Well, I hope, I'll start the new book [City in the mirror] of Mirko Kovač as soon as possible. (OK, there are also other stories from the Balkans on my TBR-list )

And I discovered two other writers, the Finnish Elina Hirvonen and Elena Ferrante, an Italian writer, who's personality is a great mystery. Nobody knows who is she really.

And what I'm going to do today? A little "trip" to Toledo. I'm going to read The Jewess of Toledo by Lion Feuchtwanger. I've read already 40 pages, still no opinion, let's see, what the other 300 pages will bring.

Update: I found an interesting new challenge, it will start in November 2009, the Really Old Classics Challenge
Check it out.....

5 megjegyzés:

Eva said...

I read your review of Remains of the Day-I agree, it's a sad book but a beautiful one. I love Ishiguro!

Sounds like you have some fun reading ahead of you. :)

Book Bird Dog said...

I enjoyed the movie based on the book. I guess the book is just as good or better.

ninaivanovna said...

@Eva, this was my first book by Ishiguro , but I'm sure, I'll read other ones.

@Book Bird Dog
I would say rather the book and the movie are different.
The movie is more about the relationship between Mr Stevens (Anthony Hopkins) and Miss Kenton (Emma Thompson), many-many little precise gestures by both actors. And the book is more about Mr Stevens way of thinking, the talking /writing style of a that kind of men.

Anonymous said...

Found you through bookblogs.ning.com. Love your blog!

Allison said...

I have no idea who these authors are. It makes me feel like I've been in a hole, or something. :(

I need to check out some of your mentions!

Allison
Well-Read Reviews

 
Copyright © Almost insider. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Simple Blogger Tutorials. Distributed by Blogger Templates