Pages

October 12, 2008

The Sunday Salon: A long post (I hope)

Hello fellow saloners again.

In my last TSS post I mentioned among the book I was reading one about the metaphors. It is a quiet long book, more than 500 pages, and I haven’t finished yet. But it’s very interesting. There is a chapter in the book about the connection between schizophrenia and the usage of metaphors. Sometimes it helps diagnosing the illness, how much importance the patient wants to give to the metaphors.

A bit ironic to say: writers and poets must be a bit schizophrenic.

(Just kidding.)

Reading Hungarian stories:

Fortunately I had enough time to read another books, novels and short stories again.

Among the short stories by female writers (wich is the main theme of my Hungarian blog this month), I re-read one of my favourites story by Miklos Meszoly (you can read about it here>>>), and I started to read one of the most popular historical novel in the last some years by Zsuzsa Rakovszky. (Hungarian title: A kigyo arnyeka)

An old woman looks back on her life in the early 17. century. During reading this story we can learn much about the every day life in this period from the point of view of a woman, a daughter of a pharmacist. It's interesting to read how unsafe was the life those days, how many trouble there were in some parts of Hungary, or how different troubles there were in different parts of Hungary. The plundering of soldiers, the war of the new religions against the Catholic Church (it was an art of fight for freedom), etc. And the heroine of this story, Ursula Bender (neé Lehmann) has also a non-usually life. After 100 pages, I think I’ll love this story, and my main program will be this book this Sunday.

(Unfortunately I could find only a German version - Im Schatten der Schlange - beside of the Hungarian. )

(I'll continue a bit later with the non-Hungarian books I'm currently read)

0 megjegyzés:

 
Copyright © Almost insider. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Simple Blogger Tutorials. Distributed by Blogger Templates