Pages

July 18, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Books of Proust-style


Paris in July (3)

Could you imagine the situation, you're reading, and reading, you're recognizing the words, the sentences, but not what is the book about. Boring text? Even not, just too lyrical or too abstract.

Some years ago I really enjoyed the books by Jean Paul Sartre or Albert Camus. I adored the philosophy of the existentialism. Even some of my essays are written in the sense of existentialism, but nowadays I don't think more it's my style.

Why am I talking about this philosophy and why do I write in the title Books of Proust-style? Especially, because they are two different things.

Due to the books I was reading recently.

First of all, the book by Maurice Blanchot Celui qui ne m'accompagnait pas. It reminds me of the famous Proust-novel In Search of Lost Time. People don't like it mostly, they think it's boring, too long, and even what is the aim of this book, but there are periods in my life again and again, when this work suits exactly my current mood.

But what's with the book of Blanchot? It wasn't interesting. Or I wasn't in the suitable mood. It was like the Proust-book, or even like The Death of Virgil by Herman Broch (an Austrian writer), especially the chapter of the last night, when Virgil is alone. A long, long, long monologue, the author is talking to his protagonist, if I interpret correctly. Well it's very abstract, too, too, too abstract, there is too many philosophy and hardly any storytelling. And I'm quite far away from this kind of books since a while. Nowadays I need more storytelling, and less philosophy in a novel. (Well, is this text by Blanchot a novel or not? It's a good theoretical question!)

The other book is, which I just finished Fever (La Fievre) by J. M. G. Le Clezio. This book contents 3 short stories. The first two like a Camus -story, the 3. like a Proust -text (again). His book remind me rather Le Clezio's work Terra Amata, which was my first book by him, than the most recently read one, Ritournelle de la Faim. Terra Amata and Fever are somehow too bizarre to me, but the other one I liked.

So, this is my TSS-post for this weekend. Oh, yes, and I've finished the book The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, and I still didn't write a review about Faust by Robert Nye for The Books to Read before I die 2010 Challenge Maybe next week(s)....?

4 megjegyzés:

Marie Cloutier said...

I look forward to your review of THE HANDMAID'S TALE. :-)

Tamara said...

I'm currently reading L'etranger (Camus)for my French class - while the challenge is reading it in French, Im enjoying his story telling style. I think I might look upp La Fievre on Book depository. Thanks for mentioning it here.

Mrs. Fry said...

The French writers are ramblers. Overly descriptive, overly philosophical and sometimes a tad bit too snobby, AND this is why I love them.

George Sand is my favorite author. I am reading my first book, Germinal, by Zola. Before July is over, I plan on re-reading (this time in English because quite frankly I didn't understand it very well in French) No Exit, by Sarte.

I enjoyed your post.

Tamara said...

Hi Anni - Congratulations/ Felicitations - you have won week 3 of Paris in July. Could you pop by my post and leave me your email address so we can arrange your prize? Thanks for joining in.

 
Copyright © Almost insider. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Simple Blogger Tutorials. Distributed by Blogger Templates