Pages

January 25, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Possibly an another historical novel


Yesterday I thought this Sunday I’ll spend with reading The Meeting at Telgte by Günter Grass, and I'll maybe writing a review about it. It's just a short novel, it's set in Germany at the end of the 30 year war. Poets meet at this place, they are talking about art and linguistics, etc. Just a quite unusual book.

The reason why I started to read this book was the person of the translator, László Márton. He wrote the novel The True Story of Jacob Wunschwitz, which is a starting point of my researching about the “new” or the “postmodern” historical novel. Although the novel of Grass is a bit older, and I’d rather say it's a modern and not a postmodern work, but there are other common points: the place and the period - Germany in the first half of the 17. century.

But now I feel it a bit boring (not the Márton’s but the Grass’ book), I think this day is not it’s day, I’ll read maybe something different.

Possibly an another historical novel.

4 megjegyzés:

gautami tripathy said...

I would like to read it. I must get hold of it!

:D


Sunday Salon readings

Sandra said...

I do not know either of these books but they sound interesting.

Literary Feline said...

The Meeting at Telgte sounds like an interesting book. Hopefully you will be more in the mood to read it at a later time.

Anonymous said...

Life's too short to waste on boring books, that's for sure!

 
Copyright © Almost insider. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Simple Blogger Tutorials. Distributed by Blogger Templates